Islamic Funeral Service (Janazah)
“To Allah we belong and to Him is our return.”
By the Grace of Allah (SWT), the Dandenong Emir Sultan Mosque (ESM) is adequately equipped to provide all necessary services pertaining to death and burial. The Mosque Society has a designated space for performing ghusl (washing) of the dead body .
Putting families first, we maintain the highest standards to provide a professional quality of care in everything we do. Upon the death of a loved one, many people have questions about funerals and funeral services. We hope the following information can assist you during this moment of need.The hardest thing you will ever have to do is to say goodbye to someone you love or care for. However, as Muslims we should be accepting and submit to the Will of Allah (SWT), our Creator, with patience; and pray for mercy and forgiveness for the deceased.
Alhamdulillah, the ESM has the facilities and a caring team to assist you with the funeral arrangement. The cost, to meet our expenses, is nominal.
The services offered by the ESM include but are not limited to:
– Removing the deceased’s body from place of death and transporting to our local facility.
– Arrange booking with cemetery for soonest appointment available.
– Washing and shrouding of body by qualified personnel.
– Perform the Janazah Prayer.
– Transporting remains from Janazah prayer to cemetery.
– Prepare death certificate.
* Cemetery: The ESM has access to an Islamic burial ground ( Springvale Botanical Cemetery and Bunurong Memorial Park). The purchasing of the gravesite and the making of the necessary arrangements can be completed by contacting our office.
The burial services available are as follows:
Same day burial is possible most days if paperwork is ready before 9am.
- Monday to Friday – regular services
- Saturday, Sunday and holidays – the cemetery imposes additional charges.
* Mortuary and Ghusl (Bathing the deceased) : We have a well-equipped mortuary to give ghusl (bathing) and prepare the body for burial. There is also a refrigerated room for the storage of the deceased, if required. Our staff are on call (both brothers and sisters) to give the ghusl and prepare the body, when needed.
* Salatul Janaza (Prayer for the deceased): The Salatul Janaza is performed in Mosque Dandenong Emir Sultan. Non-Muslim friends are welcome in the mosque for funeral services; however, the proper dress code is expected.
NOTE: All preparations are done under strict Islamic guidelines.
What to do when a death occurs:
– Contact us so that we are aware of the death and we will inform our staff to be ready.
– Have ready the full legal name of the deceased, date of birth, date of death, usual address and age at death. As for the person reserving the grave, we require the full legal name, usual address, contact number and relation to the deceased. These details are required by the cemetery in order to secure a booking.
– If you have a grave reserved, we will need the details of the grave and for the owner of the grave to come into our office and sign off for the grave.
– Contact your local doctor to come and certify the death (Issue a cause of death certificate). If the deceased died in a hospital or nursing home then the designated doctor will need to sign the cause of death certificate.
– Once the cause of death certificate is issued contact us to arrange the pickup and burial arrangements.
– At the soonest appropriate time we will need you to attend our office and sign off for the burial and fill the required paperwork so that we are able to register the death and issue a death certificate.